- NEMA 1 enclosures are typically used for protecting controls and terminations from objects
and personnel. This style of enclosure, while offering a latching door, does not have a
gasketed sealing surface. NEMA 1 enclosures are used in applications where sealing out
dust, oil, and water is not required. Motor start/stop stations are often housed in NEMA 1
- NEMA 3R enclosures are typically used in outdoor applications for wiring and junction
boxes. This style of enclosure provides protection against falling rain, sleet, snow, and
external ice formation. Indoors they protect against dripping water. This style of enclosure
does not have a gasketed sealing surface. Some models have hasps for padlocking.
- NEMA 3S enclosures are intended for outdoor use primarily to provide a degree of protection
against windblown dust, rain, sleet, and to provide for operation of external mechanisms
when ice laden.
- NEMA 4 enclosures are used in many applications where an occasional washdown occurs
or where machine tool cutter coolant is used. They also serve in applications where a pressurized
stream of water will be used. NEMA 4 enclosures are gasketed and the door is
clamped for maximum sealing. They have continuous hinges, mounting feet, and padlock
hasps. NEMA 4 enclosures are available in sizes from small wall mounts to two-door floor
- NEMA 4X enclosures are made of stainless steel or plastic. NEMA 4X enclosures are used
in harsher environments than standard NEMA 4 units. Applications where corrosive materials
and caustic cleaners are used necessitate the use of a NEMA 4X enclosure. Applications
include food, such as meat/poultry processing facilities, where total washdown with disinfectants
occur repeatedly and petro-chemical facilities, including offshore petroleum sites.
NEMA 4X is used when protection from the worst environments is required. NEMA 4X
enclosures are available in sizes from small wall mounts to two-door floor mount models.
- NEMA 6P enclosures are intended for indoor or outdoor use primarily to provide a degree
of protection against the entry of water during prolonged submersion at a limited depth.
- NEMA 12 enclosures are designed to prevent the ingress of dust, water, and oil. NEMA 12
enclosures are most often used for indoor applications of automation control and electronic
drives systems. Some examples are packaging, material handling, non-corrosive process
control, and manufacturing applications. Gasketed doors seal the enclosure’s contents from
airborne contaminants and non-pressurized water and oil. NEMA 12 enclosures are available
in sizes from small wall mounts to two-door floor mount models.
- NEMA 13 enclosures are intended for indoor use primarily to provide a degree of protection
against dust, spraying of water, oil, and non-corrosive coolant.